Friday, February 24, 2012

CAPS Blog #3-Jihyun Kim


Jihyun Kim
Eye Contact

One of the nonverbal codes in communication is eye contact. It is often included in proxemics because it regulates interpersonal distance (Martin & Nakayama, 2009). When communicating with another person, the meaning of making eye contact differs from culture to culture. It is a nonverbal code, or the eye gaze, that communicates meanings about respect and status and often regulates turn-taking during interactions (Martin & Nakayama, 2009). In some cultures, avoiding eye contact communicates respect and deference. On the other hand, in the U.S., Americans believe maintaining eye contact communicates that one is paying attention and showing respect. However, if the communication is between others, most U.S. Americans have the tendency to look away from their listeners most of the time. Alternating their gaze perhaps every 10 to 15 seconds. To let the listener know when the conversation is complete and it is time to take turn, he or she looks directly at them.

In the U.S., making eye contact while communicating with another person is essential in order to build a good relationship. Whether it takes place at a job, school, when out with friends, or just basically anywhere else, it is the key to show that you are engaged and listening to the speaker to show respect. Raised in East Asia, eye contact was not as familiar to me as it was when I moved to the U.S. There is a difference when it comes to speaking with my parents compared to speaking with my friend’s parents. With my family, making eye contact is only used every 15 to 20 seconds, but when I speak to my American friend’s parents I give them my full attention. It’s somewhat more comfortable to make eye contact with the U.S. Americans than it is with my own parents. It is not a sign of showing disrespect when I look at the ground rather than their eyes, but it shows that I am even more engaged and concentrating on listening even harder. When I look into their eyes, it sometimes throws me off and the communication dies down.

The concept of nonverbal codes is useful in ways that it is another way to communicate rather than verbally. There can be many outcomes from a person’s facial expression, body language, or just by the use of eye contact when communicating. It is clear to me now why making eye contact was more difficult with people from Asia than U.S. Americans. This concept is familiar to me because I have used it for as long as I can remember. Everyone knows when avoiding eye contact, it signals you do not want to communicate with them and vice versa. However, I learned that that is not true for every culture; the use of eye contact varies from culture to culture.

References:
Martin, J.N., & Nakayama, T.K. (2009). Intercultural Communication in Contexts (5th Edition ed). New York, NY: McGraww-Hill.

4 comments:

  1. Eye contact is one of the most common nonverbal codes used in intercultural communication. It is tough because the proper etiquette varies quite a bit from culture to culture. I have been studying the Chinese culture and many of the people I've talked to form that culture don't give much eye contact. The Chinese culture believes in giving eye contact to individuals of a higher status or their elders. I thought this was interesting how you presented this though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, i think i know how you feel because i also feels that way. as an asian, we just do short eye contacts. whenever someone do long eye contact with me, i'll feel embarrassed for no specific reason :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is true that different areas people have their own way to make eye contact and we do not have unique rules to measure everyone. So people usually have misunderstandings when multiculture's people get together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that you chose eye contact for your blog. I found it very interesting because I know eye contact is different between cultures. You gave me a good example of that.

    ReplyDelete