Friday, February 24, 2012

CAPs Blog #3

Multilingual



When someone can speak two languages they are considered to be bilingual. But when someone can speak more than two languages they are considered to be multilingual. This means someone can speak three, four, or even more languages. Although someone is able to speak more than one language, they usually prefer to speak one over the other or as their main language.


Depending on the situation, context, and topic, they may use a different language to communicate. When being multilingual, one must use language negotiation. They must chose, explicitly or implicitly, which language to use in a situation. This may be decided on relations one may have with the individual being spoken to. For example, an Asian who lives in the U.S. may speak their native language Mandarin but is also able to speak English very well. When speaking with family members, they may use their native language Mandarin, but when speaking with another American they would speak English.


Learning another language may be very difficult but it can also be rewarding. Studies show that teaching children a second or third language at a young age can increase their cognitive growth. It also prepares them for situations when older. They may travel around the world and be able to speak to different people of other cultures.


I am personally not bilingual or multilingual but one day I hope to know at least one other language. I would really like to learn sign language although I don't think they consider that to be a second language yet. (Although I think it should be because it is a language you have to learn and know to communicate it.) Being bilingual or multilingual would be beneficial to me considering I plan to go on a few deployments in my years in the Air Force. I would be able to communicate with other people of different cultures around the world. Since I am older, I think it will be more difficult to learn a second language but am willing to try!


References


Martin, J.N., & Nakayama, T. K. (2009) Intercultural Communication in Contexts (5th Edition ed.). New York, NY: McGraww-Hill



No comments:

Post a Comment