Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Bernard Day CAPS blog #5

Popular culture

Popular culture is ever-present cultural products designed for profitable consumption. (Martin and Nakayama 2009) Popular culture is definitely an ever present thing in my household. I have two boys, age 16 and 12. They stay on top of current music, television shows and fashion. At times it gets on my nerves but for the most part it keeps me young. I enjoy spending time with them listening to music, watching movies and tv shows. Attempts have been made to expose them to high culture and even some folk culture. They try to resist but I think it is important for them to experience cultural diversity. To have all different kinds of culture in their lives.

One thing I enjoy most is when things that were popular when I was younger become popular again now. The latest example I can think of is snapback hats. My son thought those were just a new craze. It was funny when he discovered some of my old hats and started wearing them. 







No comments:

Post a Comment