Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Bernard Day CAPS blog #4


Transitions





Soujourners are people who move into new cultural contexts for a limited period of time and for a specific purpose, such as for study or for business. (Martin and Yakayama 2009) That is a word that described me for over 10 years of my life. My journeys started when I left my home in Washington DC to go to college and play basketball in Moberly MO. That was quite a transition for me and  bit of a culture shock. I adapted well and mad some good friends.  After that, I moved here to Lincoln to continue my education and play basketball at UNL. As you can tell, moving to play basketball was a trend in my life. I was here in Lincoln for 2 years before spending 1 year in Ireland, 3 years in Holland, 1 year in France and 3 years in Israel. I encountered many different cultures over the years and loved every minute of it. It taught me to learn that change is good. It also helped me develop my adaptation skills.





An interview of me from when I played basketball in Holland.



Works cited:
Martin, J. N., & Nakayama, T. K. (2009). Intercultural Communication in Contexts (5th Edition ed.). New York, NY: McGraww-Hil

No comments:

Post a Comment