Saturday, April 7, 2012

Amanda Wesely- CAPS Post 6

Turning Points

Turning points in relationships are the catalysis taking them forward or backward. It can be as simple as asking a friend for help or refusing to partner with another person. If a partner finds out their lover is cheating on him/her, chances are the relationship takes a step back. These defining moments create and also can collapse relationships. Self-disclosure is a type of turning point in which revealing information about oneself is exposed. Any romantic movie where the line “I have never told anyone that” is used is a clear example of self-disclosure.

The breakfast club is a movie in which strangers come together for a Saturday detention. Many turning points happen throughout the day, until at last they are comfortable enough with each other to disclose personal information. The clip attached shows some characters sharing their more personal feelings. The information shared takes turning points backwards and forwards.

 


Turning points are moments I remember about my relationships. My best friend and I still laugh about how I sat by her in a large lecture hall and told her I liked her shoes. She told me she liked my sweater. Suddenly we felt comfortable enough to sit together for every lecture. It is weird how a simple comment to a stranger can make you feel more comfortable. If she had just simply said “thanks” I might not have sat by her the next lecture.

References:
Martin, J., & Nakayama, T. (2010). Intercultural Communication in Contexts. New York: McGraw Hill.

5 comments:

  1. Great post! I really enjoyed reading your text on turning points. It is very interesting how turning points are the times that stick out in our minds on the good and bad of our past relationships. Turning points usually are the time when the relationship progresses forward or goes backward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you pulled examples of The Breakfast Club, this makes me think of how movies are almost all based on turning points. This also made me think of how many movies these days, if you buy the DVD, have an alternate ending you can watch. Modern technology has allowed us to create our own different turning points when watching a movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For one, The Breakfast Club is an awesome movie and was extremely applicable to your post. In my cultural reporter project I used a lot of information regarding self disclosure and to see it applied to on of my favorite movies was very interesting. Great post and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's interesting that we don't really think about these things until they come to our attention. Many actions that we do in our everyday lives may end up being a turning point. I'm interested in what makes something a turning point? Is it the emotion that is attached with that action or is it something else? I thought your example was great and was very applicable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job on the post! I thought the part about turning points was pretty interesting. I think that lots of things can be identified as turning points. I think the book talks about physical contact and doing favors, but I think anything even as simple as talking with someone or even not talking to someone could be considered a turning point.

    ReplyDelete