Thursday, April 12, 2012

Jacob Wagner - Caps #6


Jacob Wagner
Caps Post #6
Benefits of Intercultural Relationships

Everyone has their close group of friends, most you have met through shared interests developed within your own cultural groups.  However there exists a marked benefit in reaching out to those outside your own cultural group and learning about different ways of life. Forming Intercultural relationships can increase knowledge about the world, break stereotypes, and help develops new skills.  (Martin & Nakayama, 2009) A simple way to develop a new relationship is a new take on an old idea, pen pals.

Pen-Pal programs, when done correctly, can be a huge tool for developing intercultural relationships. While never having a pen pal myself, my sister has had one for over two years while in high school. It started with an interschool communication initiative between her high school and one in Dortmund, Germany. Students were assigned pen pals, and they communicated via email for a number of months. Over this time they got to know one another and build a relationship. After a year she was invited to participate in a foreign exchange program and stay with her pen pal as a host. For a week she was able to be immersed in their culture and learn about the differences between their ways of life.
Having openness and taking initiative to develop intercultural relationships is an enriching process. I have learned from my sister’s experience the value in stepping outside of my comfort zone to participate with cultures I am unfamiliar with. I actively try to acknowledge stereotypes and barriers that I create for myself that may prevent me from learning and developing the fulfilling relationships I can have.



Martin, Judith N. & Nakayama, Thomas K. (2009).  Intercultural Communication In        
Contexts: Fifth Edition. McGraw Hill Companies. pp. 382-384.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, thats really awesome. I completely forgot about pen pals, but I think I also did that in elementary school one time. Do you think kids these days know what pen pals are?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think reaching out and meeting people with different cultural backgrounds and experiences is extremely valuable. It takes coming out of your comfort zone to learn about new things. It is way easier to just be friends with those that are like you, but becoming friends with people that are different helps you grow as a person. I think pen pals is a great example.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are many benefits that comes from developing intercultural relationships and becoming a better person by stepping out of your comfort zone to reach new relationships with different cultures is valuable. Similar to your story, my sister participated in a pen pal program from elementary school and she still writes emails to her pen pal in Brazil. Pen pals are great because you get a chance to go and visit their country and experience their culture hands on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting connection. Think about how you can bring in media material and visuals to enhance this. Also develop your paragraph 3 a bit more.

    ReplyDelete