Friday, April 6, 2012

CAPS #6 by Katie Hottovy


What style of Relationships have you had in the past?

Four styles of interaction in relationships
No two people are alike, so couples are often forced to deal with differences of culture in a variety of ways.  There are four different styles of interaction that couples may exemplify.  The first being submission style, this is where one person abandons their current culture completely while their partner continues their normal culture (Martin & Nakayama, 2009).   Compromise style is exactly as it sounds, is where both partners give up some aspect of their culture in order to suit one another (Martin & Nakayama, 2009).  The third style is obliteration style, this is where both partners do a complete turn around of their culture.  Neither partner participates in their previous cultural traditions.  Lastly, the most common, is the consensus style in which both partners give and take on culture traditions (Martin & Nakayama, 2009). The consensus style may involve the couple switching churches every other week so that both partners can participate in their normal culture.
            When looking at the different kinds of interactions couples may exemplify I couldn’t help but think of my parents relationship and my past relationships and how these mold into the different styles.  For example, my dad is born and raised Catholic where as my mom is born Christian but wasn’t raised in a very religious environment.  Today my family goes to a Catholic church, in which my mom attends with my family, but she doesn’t receive communion and hasn’t received Catholic Sacraments to become a official Catholic member.  My parents current cultural traditions aligns them with the more consensus style.  My dad is probably a less serious Catholic they when he grew up, so he adapted to a less relaxed religious environment that my mom was used to.  While, my mom attends the Catholic church and participates in mass but hasn’t completely changed her religion.
            The different styles of interaction has made me reflect on my past relationships and others relationships around me.  The book notes the consensus style is the most common and often leads to longer lasting relationships.  I’ve realized this is true in my parents relationship and makes me understand now what makes a good long relationship versus a short term relationship in one aspect.   I often am more willing to give up my culture to suit my partners.  I’ve realized that this may not be the best thing and that finding a happy medium will often ensure a longer lasting relationship that’s better for both people involved.  
During Rumspringa, when Amish teenagers venture out into the unknown non-Amish parts of the United States they can choose whether to return to their Amish society or live permanently out of the Amish Society.  Anyone who chooses to leave the Amish community gives us their Amish religion thus, would be in a submissive style relationship.

Works Cited

Martin, J. N., & Nakayama, T. K. (2009). Intercultural Communication in Contexts (5th Edition ed.). New York, NY: McGraww-Hill.

3 comments:

  1. The comment about your parents is interesting. My parents are similar, however my mother erased her religious views and became Catholic. I am not sure why she felt a need to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a very interesting topic from the chapter. The four styles have great differences but are somewhat similar in the outcomes they all have. The consensus style was the most interesting for me just because I have never really heard of families engaging in both cultures on a every other week basis. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is very interesting that how two people interact with each other and keep a relationship for a long time. Different families have their own relationship rules and people do not have to give up all their personalities to suites the other. Over all, I like your example of your parents and their own way to treat the religion issue.

    ReplyDelete