Sunday, April 8, 2012

CAPS#6- Weiting Yue


CAPS#6 Intercultural relationship

Guanxi

According to Martin & Nakayama (2009), guanxi is “a Chinese term for relational network” (p.393). It can also be defined as “relationships of social connection built on shared identities such as native place, kinship or attending the same school” (p.393). Many things can be done by guanxi in China, but it does not viewed as negative things in China compared to United States.

So how relationship is established? According to Vincent Lo's article the King of Guanxi, it does not have to be based on money. “Treating someone with decency while others treat him/her unfairly could result in a good relationship” (Lo, 2004). Also, relationships can start with and builds on the trustworthiness of the individual or the company. If the company or people signed contracts and premised to do things and they actually did it, the relationship will be built and have a good start.

            Based on my own experience, I was born in China and experienced at least 19 years’ life that has relationship with guanxi. Chinese do not view guanxi as a so positive thing. In fact, in business, guanxi is a good thing because it is safe to do business in that way and partners can benefit each other regarding to their cooperative. But other things were not viewed that positive, especially those relationships build on financial situations, such as promotion, welfare benefits (especially in hospital), education and personal investment(especially buying a house). Due to the large amount of people in the major cities, people need to worried about their daily life and trying to live better than others. But the space is limited. So guanxi occurred and people use it to gain their own benefits.  

 Here is a short video about guanxi in China.


Reference:

Lo, V. (2004), The King of Guanxi, Retrieved from: http://chinese-school.netfirms.com/guanxi- king.html

Maritn, J. N., & Nakayama, T. K. (2010). Intercultural Communication in Contexts (Fifth ed., pp. 185-187).   New York, NY: Mcgraw-Hill.

5 comments:

  1. I think it is great for this blog to have a personal experience in regards to a conept from the book. Your analysis on guanxi certainly brought information to my attention that I would not of gained simply from the text. Awesome! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its cool to get a perspective from someone that knows more about the concept then the book. Your insight is really useful. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never knew about this but am glad I read your blog on it. When I read about it in the book, I thought of it as a neat concept but as you stated, people took advantage of it and used it to their own benefit. I still like the idea of it though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your post. Just like China, I would say that other Asian countries like my country, Malaysia also has the same experience of Guanxi but in our own terms. I do agree on part of people taking advantage from this, I find it very frustrating and unfair for those who do not have good connections in promoting themselves or getting a better opportunities. Great job anyhow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! When I teach this chapter face-to-face I show that exact Guanxi video.

    ReplyDelete