Thursday, March 8, 2012

Amanda Wesely- CAPS Post 4


Culture Shock

Culture Shock is “a relatively short-term feeling of disorientation and discomfort due to the lack of familiar cues in the environment.” Culture shock is the second phase of the U-Curve Model. The first stage is Anticipation, when the excitement of going to a new place overwhelms your fears. The next phase is Culture Shock, followed by Adjustment.

The Beverly Hillbillies was a popular show in the 1960s. The show centered on a family who became rich and moved into a new social class.

I bring this show up to point out the comedy in this program is founded by the family’s culture shock. It is funny when the son thinks it is okay to kill and eat the neighbor’s dog when it wanders onto their property. It is funny when the telephone rings and they cannot figure out how to answer it. The family is extremely disoriented in their new environment and is trying to reach the next stage, Adjustment.

In my own experience I have experienced some Culture Shock. Staying on a poor island in South America was probably the most heightened Culture Shock experience for me. I was so excited at first, but then when I realized they had no air conditioning or modern conveniences I was disorientated. After a few days I began to adjust and assimilate into the new environment.


Every time I return from a study abroad, I get an email from UNL International Affairs Office to attend a lecture on recovering from Culture Shock. I would laugh because it took me only a couple days to get back into my regular routine and assumed most others were similar. After reading this chapter I think it might depend on the individual. Some people may have trouble transitioning into the Adjustment phase. I guess I have travelled a lot as a child with my parents to different countries, like Japan and Honduras. So perhaps I have become more fluent in transitioning between phases and must remember some may have more difficulty.

References:
Martin, J. N., & Nakayama T. K. (2009). Intercultural communication in contexts (5th ed.). New York, NY: McGraw-Hill Higher Education.

Beverly Hillbillies Opening. (2011, February). Retrieved March 2012, from YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnXfRstZntE

4 comments:

  1. You're experience in South America is very interesting. I never thought of cultural shock like that. I guess when I think about it I experience slight cultural shock even when I go on vacation within the United States. You also brought up a nice point about everyone adjusting differently, I think that is so true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would imagine, like you said, that culture shock depends on an individual. Compare a solider coming back to the United States versus traveling abroad and coming home to the United States. Perhaps traveling abroad you had a blast but miss your family so it may be easier to come back to the states and get into the swing of things. But compare that to a solider who their way of life completely changes in one day, from worrying about death constantly to not having to look over your shoulder. I would image the culture shock for most soliders is rough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting. Where did you go in South America. It seems like you have done more than 1 study abroad, Is it something you would recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a very interesting blog! I liked your point about how individuals experience different levels of reverse culture shock when they return home. I had just assumed that it would take a matter of weeks for anyone to recover from culture shock. For you to be able to recover within a matter of days is an amazing skill! I wonder if the recovery time not only has to do with the individual, but also with what the individual is doing while abroad, such as being a student, traveling just for fun, or fighting in a war like Katie mentioned.

    ReplyDelete