Thursday, March 8, 2012

Fadhilah Lokman CB4


CAPS BLOG #4

Interpretive Approach: W-curve Model

W-Curve theory displays a cultural adaptation theory that sojourners experience another U-curve when returning home. Two fundamental ideas to this theory are the issues of personal change and expectations. When the expectations are higher, the culture shock would be more overwhelming and harder to overcome.

I really get hooked with this theory because it clearly demonstrates what I was experiencing last summer break when I returned to my hometown, Malaysia. Although the theory said the first U curve is the one that indicates the culture shock when I first enter this country, in my case I would say that it is less severe experience than the second U curve when going back to my home country. Earlier, I was ready to integrate with Americans and it meets most of my expectations. Later, when I first step into Malaysia Airport a year later, I feel like a stranger. I was used to see white people around me and to be surrounded by all darker skins Malays, I feel like I am in totally different world even among my family members. As mentioned in the textbook, the family members are expecting the sojourners to be a little different when actually they are not; my mother said that she was expecting me to dress differently. She thought that I would return home without wearing my hijab anymore because of the “liberal” ideas propagated here. For me, I think I am the same as before but for my family members, I am different. Because of that, things started to look so different than before. I was surprised myself. It was awkward to have culture shock at your own home country than to travel at other places.

All in all, this theory would give a huge help for me to adjust and prepare for my returning after I graduate at the end of this year. Even after I experienced it last summer, I think it is highly possible for me to experience the same thing again. In future, if any of my family members further studies abroad, I would at least play a role in briefing them about this theory. All these time people kept stressing on culture shock when entering new places, but I think it should be vice versa. Instead of getting so excited in returning home after spending few years studying abroad, one should prepare mentally and stay in touch with home country and know what is happening.

Reference:

1) Martin, J. N., & Nakayama T. K. (2009). Intercultural communication in contexts (5th ed.). New York, NY: McGraw-Hill Higher Education.

2) Cultural Adjustment. Berkeley International Office. (2010-2011) http://internationaloffice.berkeley.edu/cultural_adjustment

1 comment:

  1. I have only visited other countries and never truly 'lived' there. The culture shock must be much worst after integrating into one culture and then returning to another. Interesting blog.

    ReplyDelete