Thursday, March 29, 2012

Jake Wagner CAPS#5 Folk Culture


Folk Culture


Folk Culture is typically defined as traditional modes of behavior and expression that are transmitted from generation to generation among a group or people. (Education) I find that this can be easily related to traditions.  Folk music is a prime example of folk culture in society. 

Folk music is not typically what you would find playing on the radio. It’s a type and style of music that is handed down throughout generations, with a sound unique to itself. Traditional folk music has no known composers, as its artist has usually been forgotten as the music is passed down throughout ages. The development of folk music can rely heavily on cultural experiences. Styles of folk music will vary greatly based on regions. An interesting contrast of African folk music and Russian folk music is demonstrated in the following videos. 

African folk song
 

Russian Folk Song
 

By examining folk music for particular regions and subcultures we can better understand a certain cultural group. Folk music can often express cultural history or beliefs. In order to overcome stereotypes and misconceptions about a cultural group it is beneficial to examine the subtexts that make up that group. I believe that without financially driven motives folk culture is a very accurate and true representation of culture. When exploring or attempting to connect with cultural groups I will pay more attention to the aspects of its folk culture. 

Education. (n.d.). Folk Culture. Retrieved March 28th, 2012, from www.education.com: www.education.com/definition/folk-culture/
 Martin, J. N., & Nakayama, T. K. (2009). Intercultural Communication in Contexts. McGraw-Hill Higher Education.


3 comments:

  1. I like the idea that you used folk songs to describe one culture. Like other culture, my very own culture also do have folk songs. However, nowadays people are too excited with popular music and my people tend to neglect own music which is very frustrating to see. Like you had emphasized, I also believed that folk culture is very important for people to pay attention to.

    Nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked your blog! It was very interesting! I also liked that you used folk songs as an illustration, as Dyla said. The African folk song video was a great choice!
    I have not had much interaction with any type of folk culture or folk song except for when I attended a powwow for the Sioux when I was young. I don't remember much about it, but I do remember that their dances and music depicted particular stories in the Sioux's cultural history, just as you said. Nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Folk culture is more meaningful and realistic when it comes to better understanding a different cultural group. I'm really interested in folk music and culture because it's nonmainstream and I think it has more value to the culture I am exposed to as I am experiencing folk culture. I enjoyed your videos a lot!

    ReplyDelete