Friday, March 9, 2012

CAPS#4 - Michael Filipowski

Cultural adaptation is, "the long-term process of adjusting to and finally feeling comfortable in a new environment." While experiencing this process, one who is not familiar with their environment may experience what is called a culture shock. Where they have the feeling of being out of place by the unfamiliar history, politics and social structures that surround that culture.

Transitioning to anywhere is hard. Having to culturally adapt yourself to a new environment can be frustrating and anxiety inducing. Having a culture shock experience can be anything from going from middle school to high school, high school to college, moving to a new state and moving to another country. I know that when I first moved to Japan I was 6 years old, not used to seafood, trains and the Japanese culture. But after awhile the feeling of a 'culture shock' was not there due to the fact that I had integrated myself through the Japanese. Even though I did not believe in their beliefs specifically, getting to know and understand how they live, the way they interact and who they were allowed the feeling to subside. 

Cultural adaptation has influence both my past and present already. In terms of the future, due to my past, I go into every new environment like a new person. I am open to ideas, beliefs, how someone may live, etc. This concept does have its disadvantages, but I know the feelings of a culture shock will subside at any point in time.    

References: 
Martin, J. N., & Nakayama, T. K. (2009). Intercultural Communication in Contexts. McGraw-Hill Higher Education.

1 comment:

  1. I believe so too. It is hard only at the beginning and will get better if we allow ourselves to integrate with the culture. For this, just like you said, we have to be open. Those people who have restricted beliefs would be hard to get along with local people.

    ReplyDelete