Monday, March 5, 2012

CAPs #4- Weiting Yue


U- Curve Theory


According to Martin & Nakayama (2009), U-curve theory is “a theory of cultural adaptation positing that migrants go through fairly predictable phases- excitement/ anticipation, shock/ disorientation, adjustment- in adapting to anew cultural situation” (p. 327).  Although not every migrant have the same experiences, most migrants experience this theory at one time or another.

The U-curve theory has three parts: anticipation, culture shock and adjustment. But it can also be separated in four parts: honey moon, crisis/hostility, recovery and adjustment. According to the article from Baldwin, the crisis stage includes hostility and stereotypes, which can also be called culture shock. Baldwin’s The recovery stage is described as the response to the culture stress, which is flex, where one learns to deal with, even embrace cultural differences or to work with them with stability and a good attitude (Baldwin, 2011).

Personally I experienced the whole process of the U-curve theory, whether it can be divided by three stages or four stages. When I first came to the United States in 2008, I live in the dorm where I was the only Asian in the building and I was excited about everything. I was really motivated to join many group activities. But this mood has a little change during the second semester on my freshman year because the culture shock- the difficulty to suits local language, culture, and life style. The sophomore year and junior year is the major transition for me to suits American culture. I have a part-time job and communicate with locals frequently so that I understand their thoughts in the most direct way.   Right now, the culture shock has very little effect on me and I even can suits another culture in the fastest way because I know how to make myself comfortable in a brand new environment.
Here is a video of how other international students experience their culture shock.


References:
Baldwin, R. J. (2011), Cross cultural adaptation, Retrieved from http://my.ilstu.edu/~jrbaldw/372/Adaptation.htm
Maritn, J. N., & Nakayama, T. K. (2010). Intercultural Communication in Contexts (Fifth ed., pp. 185-187). New York, NY: Mcgraw-Hill.




3 comments:

  1. The video was really intersting. Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your post because you have first hand experience at the U-Curve theory. I would imagine that if you didn't know English before you came this transition would be very difficult. Glad your are on the last stage of the U-Curve theory...adjustment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the post above. I like it the most because you have had first hand experience with this theory. It gives me a better sense of the theory with a real life example rather than one pulled just out of thin air. I have also had this experience while living in Japan for 6 years of my life. Good post!

    ReplyDelete