Friday, March 9, 2012

CAPS #4 Adaptation – Jake Wagner



Cultural adaptation can often be one of the most rewarding periods of immigrant transition. During this stage an immigrant learns to overcome anxiety and cultural shock from their new environment, and appreciate aspects of their new cultural as well as old. Foreign exchange and study abroad students are all to familiar with the phenomenon.  

               Moving away from home even if for a short period of time can be a difficult adjustment for most. I know that when I first left for college and moved to the dorms the transition from living to my parents to a giant building full of college students was a night and day change. While my living environment may have changed, my surroundings stayed more or less the same. Moving from a foreign country with a completely different cultural would be a truly difficult experience. By better anticipating the difficulties present in transitioning to the adjustment phase I believe the experience can be made infinitely easier.  Culture shock is almost inevitable when traveling to a new place, but it doesn’t have to take away from the experience. (Rotary International)

One of the most important things to do when transitioning to a new culture is identifying the stages you may experience in the process. Stages are not felt by everyone and not always in the same order. (Affairs, 2012) By drawing upon lessons from traveling abroad, skills can be picked up to be used later in life. I would hope to be able to apply the ideas learned about transition and adaptation to many situations where I am encountering a new way of life or culture. 


A short video covering culture shock and adaptation amongst students. Courtesy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQtzQn1Rvc8

Affairs, S. (2012, March 3rd). Cultural Transition and Adaptation. Retrieved from Counseling Center: http://www.counselingcenter.illinois.edu/?page_id=133
Cannon, W. B. (1929). Bodily changes in pain, hunger, fear, and rage. New York.
Rotary International. (n.d.). A Guide for Exchange Students. Evanston, IL.

3 comments:

  1. I have to agree with your statement, how culture shock is almost inevitable when traveling to a new place. Just recently, I had to go to People's City Mission to interview and research for my cultural reporter project. I wasn't used to being around people who didn't have homes, living off food stamps, mental health problems, so it was a bit of a culture shock. But I adapted to their culture by being understanding and listening to them by accepting their culture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also did my caps on culture shock. What I like most about your blog is in the last paragraph. You gave advice to people who are transitioning or may be transitioning to a new place/culture. This was really good in my eyes because it allows someone to get a head start on what to look for rather than feeling completely lost and anxious in their new place. Good post!

    ReplyDelete