Saturday, January 21, 2012

Ryan Behling's CAPS blog #1

 Contrasting Familial Identity
          First off familial identity is defined as evidence within many different cultures that seem to stress the importance of emotional connections with one another as the interdependence with others of the group (Martin & Nakayama, 2009).  In many ways this defines the bond that we as individuals make with other members of our family whether it is a parent, cousin, or sibling.  More times than not family members stick by one another through thick and thin no matter what happens to each other throughout the obstacles of life.  The members of this group are often the first people we come to for advice or guidance on certain issues.
            This concept is directly correlated to intercultural communications in the fact that our identity and the people around us make up our familial identity.  The way we act around our family and loved ones is part of that identity.  At a very young age we were a part of a family in the fact that we had people we could count on to be there for us if we ever needed anything and vis versa.  For example, the main aspect of my personal familial identity would be unconditional love and compassion.  I know that if I ever needed advice on anything within my life all I need to do is talk to my mother, father, or my brother and make my decision with the help of them.  Families are there to help with decisions on educational, occupational, and marital decisions and other life issues (Martin & Nakayama, 2009).  Within my cultural identity we have a tradition of having very close relationships with other family members and traditional holidays throughout the year where family togetherness is the main thing we are focused on.  This is even truer today since my brother and I both go to school in Lincoln and my parents live 7 hours away in Scottsbluff.  So when we get time to spend with one another on holidays and trips back home we definitely try to make the best of it since it doesn’t happen a lot throughout the year.
            When I think about my familial identity I have gained some insight on the real importance of family when I think about the good times we have had over the years.  Our culture and traditions have always been very important to us and will always be a part of who we are today.  After thinking about this concept and knowing how important my family is to me personally I will definitely have a new found respect for families of cultures other than just my own.
Reference Page
Martin, Judith N. & Nakayama, Thomas K. (2009).  Intercultural Communication In Contexts:        
 Fifth Edition. McGraw Hill Companies. pp. 164-165



3 comments:

  1. Familial identity is very strong and possibly even a concoction of many other identity groups.(age, religon, class)Very insightful post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy your reflections on your own life. I think moving away for college is always a good reminder how important our family is to us. Interculturally it is interesting some cultures stress relationships as almost the sole way to identify yourself, while other cultures like you to define yourself independently. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can tell by this post and your cultural identity video that family is very important to you. I think that this would make an interesting culture of interest for your project. Maybe you could take a look at families that differ from your own?

    In terms of future blogs, really be specific with your example. You talk about your family,but don't give us a story or specific example that demonstrates the points. Also make sure you make reference too any video clips you are using to give us some context.

    Here's some edits for the references:

    Martin, J.N. & Nakayama, T. K. (2009). Intercultural communication In contexts
    (5th ed). City, State: McGraw Hill.

    ReplyDelete